Coronavirus Updates and Disease Prevention
As always, your safety and the safety of all our members, volunteers and guests is our top priority. We understand that there are questions and concerns about how COVID-19, commonly known as the coronavirus, could affect national, region, section, lodge and chapter Order of the Arrow and local Scouting programs within the areas served by Section W-1S. Section leadership is developments regarding COVID-19 through our local councils, national council, our charter partners, state restrictions and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The following information regarding events and prevention measures is based on the latest available guidance. As this is an evolving situation, this information is subject to change. We will do our best to updates this page with relevant event cancellations and postponements. We encourage you to consult your local council for specific information on your Scouting events.
Event Status and Cancellations
On March 23rd, Oregon governor announced a “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order, requiring non-essential businesses to close and people stay home unless necessary. This is in addition to previous closures and restrictions. Strict social distancing guidelines are still in place.
As a result of current restrictions and in the interest of the health and safety of all our members and the general public, the following events have been canceled or postponed:
- March 28: Onsite Council of Chiefs Meeting — CANCELED
Region OA Events
- All national, regional, and section events through May 2, 2020 have been POSTPONED.
National OA Events
- Currently, the National Order f the Arrow Conference (NOAC) is scheduled to be held as planned on August 3-8, 2020.
Lo La’Qam Geela Lodge & Crater Lake Council Events
- Council Service Centers and stores will be closed to the public until April 18th. Orders can still be placed.
- March 28: Roundtable Commissioner College — CANCELED
- April 2: Fremont District Committee & Commissioner Meeting — Virtual Meeting
- April 2: Wild Rivers District Committee — CANCELED
- April 3: OA Fellowship — CANCELED
- April 3-5: Wilderness First Aid — CANCELED
- April 8: Properties Meeting — Virtual Meeting
- April 10: Klamath Fundraising Dinner — POSTPONED
- April 15: Council Board Meeting — Virtual Meeting
- April 16: Fremont Roundtable — Virtual Meeting
- April 17-18: Fremont BALOO Training — CANCELED
Tsisqan Lodge & Oregon Trail Council Events
- Council Service Center and Scout Shop CLOSED to public until further notice.
- Council staff are still available to serve via phone and email. Scout Shop will continue to take orders.
- All council properties are closed until further notice.
- April 17-19: Tsisqan Service Weekend — CANCELED
Wauna La-Mon’tay & Cascade Pacific Council Events
- Scout Offices — CLOSED until further notice
- Nor’West Scout Shop closed until further notice (you may still order online)
- All Winter Lodge day and overnight events — CANCELED
- April 3 Parent and Pal — POSTPONED, details TBA
- April 3 Super Weekend — POSTPONED, details TBA
- April 4-5: Leave No Trace — CANCELED
- April 4: Rangemaster Training — CANCELED, moved to June 20th
- April 11: Automotive Maintenance Merit Badge at World of Speed — CANCELED
- April 16: Willamette District Dinner — POSTPONED
- April 17-19: Climbing Instructor Level II Training — CANCELED
- April 18: Commissioner College — CANCELED
- April 18: Dutch Oven Cooking Clinics — CANCELED
- April 18: SOLVE IT for Earth Day — POSTPONED, details TBA
- April 18: Sustainability Merit Badge at Evergreen — CANCELED
- April 24: Area 1 RAVE — CANCELED
- April 24: Skyloo Camporee — CANCELED
- April 25: Thunderbird District Pinewood Derby — CANCELED
- April 25: Chinook District Pinewood Derby — POSTPONED indefinitely
- April 28: Vancouver Community Partner Lunch — POSTPONED, details TBA
- May 1: Columbia River Camporee — CANCELED
- May 1:Sunset Trail Webelos Woods — CANCELED
- May 1: Thunderbird Camporee — CANCELED
- May 1: Tuality Camporee — CANCELED
- May 1: Willamette, Calapooia, Eagle Valley Camporee — CANCELED
- May 2-3: Leave No Trace Training — CANCELED
- May 9: Eagle Valley District Dinner — POSTPONED
- May 9: OMSI Chemistry Merit Badge event — CANCELED
- May 9: Willamette District Packoree — CANCELED
- May 16: Aviation Day — CANCELED
- May 16: Cub Scout Shoot Out — CANCELED
- Sea Scout Regatta — CANCELED
- Candy Sales: On hold. Scouts are NOT to sell product in public places until further notice
- Portland Office Meeting Rooms: Closed through at least March 31
- All CPC properties until April 30th
BSA Policies to Prevent the Spread of Illness
Everyday Preventive Measures
Even with those important policies in place, it is critical that we all take these everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases.
- Stay at home when you feel sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth, and wash your hands before and after doing so.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve/elbow, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Do not share personal items such as cups, water bottles, eating utensils, etc.
- Avoid shaking hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- If you have a fever, cough, or other symptoms associated with COVID-19, or if you believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, you should isolate and not attend any Scouting events. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID_19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.
If you have any questions or concerns about a specific upcoming event or activity, please reach to the appropriate individuals: